Sunday 1 July 2012

Advantage: Me


Text: Psalm 30
Psalm 30 ends, “You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever (NIV).  Eternally grateful, I believe, would be our way of describing it.  Eternally grateful and so full of joy that others see it.  I don’t know about you, but to me that seems like a good place to be.  Yet, how does one arrive at it.  Like the rich young man who asked Jesus, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” which means enter the Kingdom of God, we want to know what we can do to be grateful and joyful.
What can we do?  Jesus answered the man, “Get religion…keep the commandments.”  The man said, “I’ve done that since I was a child.  It’s not working.”  Jesus says, “This time I’ll be more specific.  Go sell everything you have and give it to the poor and then come and follow me.”  The rich young man walked away sad for he was very rich.  Jesus then tells his disciples, “The more you have, the harder it is to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.”  “Who can be saved?” they said among themselves.  Jesus replies, “It’s impossible for humanity to save itself.  But, with God all things are possible.”  I think Jesus is trying to say there to that young man and to his disciples that being eternally grateful and full of joy, which I’m led to say are a key component of our outlook on life after salvation, are not attainable by our efforts.  They are a gift from God.
The Psalmist appears to have known that rich young man’s predicament.  He too was wealthy, well established and he would add, by God’s hand not his own.  He writes, “As for me, I said in my prosperity, ‘I shall not be moved.’  Yahweh, by your favour, you established me; you made my mountain stand strong.”  He was secure in the assurance of faith that arises in knowing that it is God’s faithfulness alone that had established him.  It was by God’s favour that he had it so comfortably content.  God in his steadfast love and faithfulness had established him for God’s purposes and it was blessedly good for the Psalmist.
Yet, in the next breath that comfortable contentment is gone.  Death came knocking on his door and it seems God decided to look the other way.  By your favor, O LORD, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed.  To you, O LORD, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy: ‘What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit?  Will the dust praise you?  Will it tell of your faithfulness?  Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me! O LORD, be my helper!’” (ESV)  He goes from comfortable contentment to dismay.  In case we don’t know what dismay is, its definition goes: sudden loss of courage or resolution from alarm or fear.  Given the Hebrew word that’s used there which is almost exclusively used for this sudden terror that falls upon the enemies of God, terrorized by God would not be too far a stretch to say what he’s going through.  He’s been faithful only to find himself suffering what otherwise is reserved for punishing the wicked.  It’s not that God is getting him for something specific that he’s done.  It’s just that God, who once showed him favour and established him well, has now decided to hide his face, to disregard him.
Once again, the Psalmist gives no reason or cause for this what appears to be sudden and capricious change on the part of God.  He had fallen out of grace with God, but for no specific reason.  What was he to do?  What would you do?  Job’s famous saying, “The good Lord giveth and the good Lord taketh away” is the sort of thing heroes of good literature say, but for us we are more apt to shake our fists at the sky and say “What the….”.  I hear a bit of that when the Psalmist points out to God, “It isn’t going to look good for you if I die.  Who’s going to praise you and tell of your faithfulness?”
What happens next in Psalm 30 is a very pregnant pause.  Something happens that changes that Psalmist.  God does something.  Salvation happens.  Resurrection, we might say, happens.  God acts.  The Psalmist says, “You turned for me my wailing into dancing,…”  Missing iin some translations (NIV and NRSV) is the “for me”.  He doesn’t just say “You turned my wailing into dancing.”  He said, “Lord, you did it for me.”  The Psalmist is not making generalities about God being the type of God who gives us joy…blah, blah, blah.  This was a matter of life and death between a faithful man and the God who loves him.  God did this healing for him, for his own benefit and advantage and it took him from comfortable content—excellent cup of coffee first thing in the morning sitting on my dock at my cottage on my lake—to eternally grateful and full of joy—the after-effect of salvation—summoning God’s people to give thanks and praise.
So, returning to the original question: How do we get to be eternally grateful and full of joy?  Well, its God’s doing…and be ready to suffer.  John Calvin writes: “You must submit to supreme suffering in order to discover the completion of joy.”  God lets the faithful suffer for the purpose of working for our good and salvation.  Calvin says that a key component of faith is “to recognize that God has destined all things for our good and salvation but at the same time to feel his power and grace in ourselves and in the great benefits he has conferred upon us, and so bestir ourselves to trust, invoke, praise, and love him.”  I don’t want to put words in anybody’s mouth but I know there are terminal illness survivors out there who have felt God’s power and grace at work in their very selves.  Add to that, the terminally ill who have suddenly found themselves at peace.  I know alcoholics and addicts who have felt the power and grace of God move in their very selves to remove the addiction.  I know people who have been riddled with shame and guilt only to feel it taken away from them as the power and grace of God moved within them.  I could go on.  The point is that in this fallen, broken, totally frilled world we live in we, God’s faithful will suffer, but our suffering is not without purpose.  God uses it to bring his very self more obviously to us and into us that we might know him in his saving power and grace.  We must let this go beyond speaking generalities about God for when he works savingly in us whatever it is we know its personal, that he did it for me to make me in the specifics of my own brokenness eternally grateful and full of joy.  Amen.