Saturday 26 January 2013

To You, O Lord, I Lift up My Soul

Text: Psalm 25
One thing that children do quite often and even before they can speak is to take something and lift it up to show you; a simple yet loaded with meaning. It could mean something as simple as “look.” Or, “Let’s play I give it to you, then you give it back or I'll scream.” Lifting things up to adults is one way infants and toddlers discover that their world is relational. They can interact with it and have some influence in it. It can also be a way that little ones invite someone to be their friend. A toddler will do this by picking up a toy and walking it across the room to give it to you and then go back for another. It may just be that they are showing off their ability to walk, but it sure makes us big people feel important that they want us for a friend.
As William has gotten older I have learned that for him lifting an object up to me is a key part of our interaction that is crucial to how he feels about himself and his world. If he lift’s up a picture that he has just drawn and proudly says, “Look Daddy”, it means he wants praise. If I applaud him for it, it builds him up. If I dismiss it or criticize it, I am in some profound way dismissing and criticizing him. If he lifts up something to me as a gift, it doesn’t just mean “I love you and was thinking of you.” He also wants me in particular to love give him some love back with praise and the assurance that I love him too. If something of his is broken, he will lift it up to me believing that I am the only person on earth who can fix it. I have to at least try because toys are special extensions of the self; hence, IPhones, Blackberries, and remote controls. Sometimes he will lift up a book or Play-Doh wanting me to do that with him as a way of soliciting my companionship. Children lift up things to us not simply because of the height disadvantage. It is their way of creating and maintaining relationship in their world and we are seriously remiss if we don’t get it that the thing they are lifting up to us is the most important thing in the world to them at that moment and it profoundly represents for them their very self.
Then there’s us, us adults. We don’t lift things up too often unless it’s to someone we really trust. We think we have outgrown that behaviour. If we sense an adult is lifting something up to us we will be suspicious because we believe that for an adult to attach their self to an object they are giving to another as inappropriate, manipulative, infantile, narcissistic, or weak. We don’t try to make friends at work by putting a stapler in their lap and then return a moment later with a pad of sticky notes and then our pencil sharpener. We don’t lift up to the boss the really neat bar chart of useless statistics that we think is really cool but we weren’t asked to do and say, “Look at this really cool bar chart I just made, Boss. The black is profit and the red is productivity before and after we went with one-ply paper in the restrooms. They’re both down. Think there might be a connection." All the while thinking, "Like me. Like me. Like me.” Things like that don’t work. Instead, we are told not to attempt making friends with the boss and don’t waste time on things we weren’t asked to do. Moreover, let us not be found believing that a stapler and a bar chart truly are representative of our very self. That’s nuts. Right?
Yes it is highly weird to attach our self's to staplers and bar charts. But nevertheless we do attach our self's to things and lift them up in a meaning loaded gesture. How does it make us feel when our employer throws that project proposal back in our faces saying it’s not good enough and then goes with another? What’s it like when one of our children gets in trouble at school and it is for something that goes beyond just being a kid? Me, I like to cook. I know what it’s like to cook the best pork and beans anybody’s ever going to eat and put it out there for people to pig on only to have my Southern delicacy misunderstood and passed over. It’s not easy to watch people pick through your beans with a turned up lip. Frankly speaking, those beans are my soul. Then, with me being a minister every week I attach my self to a sermon and lift it up to others only to be met with mostly blank stares. Those ministers in those style o churches where the congregation vocally respond throughout the sermon really have it made as far as their egos are concerned.
But anyway, just like infants and small children we attach our self's to the things in life that we consider important for whatever reason. We lift them up to other people in the same relational, self-establishing way that children do with toys and…well...it’s a dog-eat-dog world and we have to either learn to eat dog and/or make sure our coping armour is impenetrable. Friends, this is right at the very essence of the relational nightmare that sin is. Our being as human beings is relational at its most basic level. We are not solitary, self-determining, autonomous, rational animals. Human being is being-in-relationship. This being-in-relationship is the very place in and among us that bears the image of the Trinity yet due to our sin it is a wantonly treacherous place for us to be. Humanity has a beautiful relational way of being innate to us because we are created in the image of the loving communion of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and yet we mar it so badly.
We have a soul problem. We attach our souls, our very self's, to things and we get hurt and we hurt others in the relational exchange of lifting things up to one another. Instead of our being-in-relationship being in the image of the loving communion of the Triune God of grace reflecting his glory in his creation, humanity looks and behaves like a virus. Yet, there is a way to live in this world that is in line with our created relational nature of being in the image of the Trinity and there is a beauty at the heart of this way that I hope you will seek and find. David writes of this way in Psalm 25:1. “To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul. O my God, in you I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me. Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame; they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous. Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. Remember your mercy, O LORD, and your steadfast love, for they have been from of old.”
As human beings we will lift up our souls. The human soul is the entirety of who we are before God our maker – body, mind, heart, spirit. Just like infants and small children we invest our soul in and attach our soul to things and people that we hope will bring friendship and fulfillment and it is in those things and people that we put our trust. Thus, they become for us idols. Lifting the soul up comes natural to us, but because of sin it inadvertently winds up being that we love and trust the wrong things in the way we should love and trust the right things which we in turn love and trust wrongly because we love and trust the wrong things rightly. The cure for sin can be experienced by lifting up our souls into the loving communion of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Paul writes in Romans 5:1,2: “…we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access in this realm of faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” He also writes in Ephesians 2:18: “For through him we have access in one Spirit to the Father.” Jesus has opened the way for us in the Holy Spirit to stand with him before our Father in heaven partaking of their love for one another in the Holy Spirit just as Peter writes in 2 Peter 1:4 that we are “partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.” David said “O God, I put my trust in you”. Lifting our souls up to God is putting our trust into the Trinity and more. It is letting our self be in the loving communion that the Trinity is and open to God’s healing work upon our twisted desires.
So, how do we lift our souls to God? First, I recommend three books to you: The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence, the anonymous work called The Cloud of Unknowing, and another anonymous work called The Way of the Pilgrim. All these books are trusted works for guidance in spiritual practice. They are all also available online for free. Second, and this is what I do, think of being an Old Testament priest lifting up a sacrifice to God before burning it on the altar. Now, imagine lifting up your being, your self, as if it were your heart from your chest and holding it there before God. Be aware of the emotions you are feeling. Name them and let them go momentarily forgetting them. Do the same with thoughts that are preoccupying you. Start repeating over and over, “To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.” Let stillness and trust be your companions. Sooner or later and it may take days or weeks you will begin to feel love for the Trinity or loved by the Father as his child as heloves the Son in the Holy Spirit. That’s where you want to be. Sooner or later and it may take days or weeks a new world will open up to you. You will need a couple of Christian friends to share things with. Do this ten minutes a day to start. You will find ten minutes goes quickly. Then read Scripture and say your prayers and go about your day trying to pray without ceasing as I have been telling you in previous sermons.
To close, here’s a secret teaching for you. The Hebrew verb for lift up, nasa, is also the word for “to bear away” or “to carry away” and one of the Hebrew words we translate as “to forgive”. Verse 18 of Psalm 25 says, “Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins.” "Consider my affliction and my trouble, and bear away all my sins." As we lift up our souls to the Trinity, Jesus takes up our brokenness, bears it upon and in his very self, and carries it away. That is what forgiveness is. Think NASA and the space shuttle. Jesus carried/carries away our brokenness like the shuttle taking something into space to send it away forever. The Trinity has given us the means through Christ in the Spirit to lift up our broken self to him and say, “Father, fix me" and he does. He does. Amen.