Saturday 23 February 2013

Fulfillment?

Text: Philippians 3:17-4:1
       I remember as if it were yesterday, fifteen years ago, my first Fall in West Virginia. It was Thanksgiving Day, American Thanksgiving that is. Open season on deer happens the week of Thanksgiving down there. I had a friend from seminary up and we decided we were going to do a 10-mile run. I thought maybe we’d take a forestry service road up a ridge about 4 miles and then drop down to the Greenbrier River and the rail trail that runs alongside it and come on back to town. Well, we got up on top of the mountain and started to hear gun shots and that’s when it occurred to me that we were out in the woods during deer season in West Virginia wearing white shirts and…no orange. But, I thought we’d be okay as long as we talked loudly so that we didn’t sound like white-tailed deer. All was well until we came upon the little tent city up on top that mountain. That and the gun shots had me thinking this just might be somebody’s still and this might be my last day. Moonshine and deer hunting are a lethal combination. So, I figured I’d better go see if anybody was home and let them know we were there. As I walked up to the tents in my shorts and white shirt I was greeted by a man whom I later found out was Mr. Buck Turner—Pocahontas County’s self-professed biggest liar as well as probably its most helpful man. Buck didn’t say anything at first. He just give me this look of “You’re not from around here, are you?” It was obvious that he thought my friend and I had to be the two dumbest human beings alive to be wearing white t-shirts and shorts out in the woods in the first week of hunting season in West Virginia. In a conversation a few years later Buck confirmed to me that's exactly what he was thinking.
      “You’re not from around here, are you?” If I had to sum up what it is like to be a follower of Jesus Christ, I think that phrase just about does it. We’re not from around here. As Paul writes, our citizenship is in the heavenlies and from there we expect a saviour, Christ Jesus, to return to transform us and all the creation to fully reflect the glory of the Triune God of grace and this waiting, though transformative now, has implications for how we live our lives until then. It should open our eyes a bit that humiliation is the word that Paul uses to describe our life as it is now in Chirst Jesus. For, we are to pattern our lives after the way of the cross, after Jesus way of laying down his life for love of others and that is humiliating by the standards of the world.
      This way of the cross does not fit in the world we live in, especially today. Self-fulfillment seems to be the goal of Western Culture. We admire those who say they are happy and who have the courage to make their own happiness their goal and pursue it even if it means not being at the top of the food chain. For example, when someone decides to change their career to what they want to do to make them happy even if it means less money, we applaud them. If someone does that and gets rich, you better believe there’s book tour in it. It used to be that moving up the ladder was the way to go. Now it’s simply a matter of finding the ladder that makes us most happy. People are also getting more spiritual today in the hopes that they will feel more fulfilled and happy. We’ve realized that there is more to life than just the god we’ve made of our consumeristic bellies. But, even this spiritual seeking at times can be at odds with the cross. I’ve come across many a disillusioned Christian wanting to live in the fullness of the Spirit, raptured in God’s love in a life where nothing but blessing is supposed to abound only to find that this so-called fulfillment does not show up quite in the way they want it to. They get disillusioned because they are not getting what they want out of the Trinity as far as fulfillment goes. The way of the cross calls us to learn to be fulfilled simply with participating in communion with and in the loving communion of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Letting go of the things of this world to find the life that is hidden with Christ Jesus within the life of the Trinity Christ can be quite disillusioning at times.
      In all honesty and I don't think that it's depression talking (though it is mid-February in Owen Sound, Onatario), the last time I checked my self doesn’t know how to be fulfilled no matter what I do with it. All I can do is take Jesus' suggestion to take up my cross and follow and see what happens from there. The way of the cross requires us to seek what our Lord says is our fulfillment which is himself given to us in the Holy Spirit who leads us to live as Jesus did and does. Therefore, I don’t think self-fulfillment is an attainable possibility in this life. Those who claim they’ve found it I think have more or less isolated themselves mentally, emotionally, and physically from the real world. Disengaged with the world and themselves.
      Jesus does not call us to fulfill our lives. He calls us to lay them down and serve one another in love and humility and this entails dying to this quest for self-fulfillment. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German martyr, wrote in his book The Cost of Discipleship as the Nazi Party was rising to power in Germany, "when Christ calls a man he bids him come and die." In place of self-fulfillment Jesus promises that he himself will be our fullness and he will be with us and in him we will find rest, joy, contentment, and peace and to that I would add primarily in our relationships with him and with others. Jesus' kingdom of which we are now citizens is present most powerfully in the relationships we have that are founded upon him and lived out according to his cross. Our rest is in the rest we share with others in him. Our joy and contentment are in the joy and contentment we share with others in him. Our peace is in the peace we have with others in him. Thus, any taste of fulfillment we are going to find in this life is not going to be found in “me and my fulfillment”. Rather, we find it in the communion of love we share with one another through serving one another, building one another up, sharing our lives with one another - in him.
      If there is anything that I have thus far learned in life worth noting it is that in this way of humiliation there is a transformation wrought in us by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ imparting to us the love of the Father through the communion of the Holy Spirit that we share with the Trinity and one another. Fulfillment in life as much as we can experience it is most fully present when we take the risk of friendship rooted in the compassionate servitude that Jesus calls us to. The secret is that we do not seek our own self-fulfillment, but rather serve others as Christ leads them to their own fulfillment in him.
      Paul presents himself as someone worth taking a look at when talking about what it is to have a fulfilling life in Christ. I would like to read to you from Philippians some of the passages where Paul talks about what motivates him. Paul was a devout man who sought more than anything else to know Christ and the power of his resurrection. He was a good example of someone who strove to be the best he could but found that the best he could be in a career of a Pharisee actually hurt people and indeed paled in comparison to Christ and his cross and so he left it all behind. He writes in chapter 3: “But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ ... that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that if possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”
      Paul paints a picture of life being a forward moving progression of getting to know Jesus Christ mainly through suffering with him for love of others and therein discovering what it is to live with Christ in his resurrection which is the miraculous power of self-emptying love. For his pursuit of Christ Paul spent a good many days in prison and being beaten for his faith. Nevertheless, no matter his situation he learned to be content. He writes: “I have learned, in whatever state I am, to be content. I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound; in any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want. I can do all things in him who strengthens me.”
      Paul knew that everyday he had in this world was a gift and that Christ Jesus would give him the strength to live it to its fullest for and in Jesus Christ. It did not matter to Paul whether he had plenty or rather he was in need. He knew the Trinity loved him and he wanted nothing more than that. Paul was a saint worth imitating. I invite you to give it a try and you just may find the life you’re looking for. Amen.