Saturday 25 October 2014

A Question to Preoccupy the MInd

Text: Matthew 22:34-46
In my previous church I was fortunate enough to have my in-laws as members.  My father-in-law is an extremely bright man who never seems to let his mind go idle.  This was good for me on Sunday mornings because the "cog's-are-turning" look on his face during the sermon had me thinking that I was putting forth some pretty astute insights.  And so, I would look forward to dinner later that evening in the hope that he might want to discuss the sermon.  Well, rarely did that happen.  It was usually the case that his mind had been occupied with some other hobby related problem for which the solution did indeed come to him during the sermon.  His hobby is making furniture and for some reason sermon time was good for him to be thinking on a project he had going in his shop.
 One of those projects was a library cart for the church he was making out of local Ash.  He designed it himself to function both as a cart and a display case.  He also had his own plaque engraved for it because he didn’t want somebody wasting money on a brass plaque that said “This cart was made and donated by____.”  He has strong opinions about brass plaques and churches.  His plaque since it was the tree that had given the most his plaque read, “This cart is made of local ash.”  He also quoted Jesus here at Matthew 22:37, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” If I remember he put “mind” in italics because he wanted to get the message across that the Christian faith wasn’t something for which we check our brains at the door.  Faith requires study.  Faith seeks understanding and therefore must be informed otherwise its nothing more than superstition.
Well, I don’t think my father-in-law is aware of it, but that verse in itself is an opener to a ponderable question with which we like him would do well to preoccupy our minds this morning during sermon time.  In this verse Jesus oddly misquotes an Old Testament verse that is the heart of the ancient Hebrew faith, a very familiar verse to any Jew of his day and we must ask why.  If we could say that ancient Israel had a creed it is this verse from Deuteronomy that Jesus misquotes: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord alone.  You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength” (Dt. 6:4-5).  So, as important a verse as this is, why would Jesus take the liberty of substituting “mind” for “strength” and why would he take this liberty in the midst of what was a couple days worth of ongoing interrogation and testing of him by the religious authorities?  We would think that in the midst of all this he would want to be dotting his i’s and crossing his t’s rather than taking liberties with the text.
Well, let's set our minds to pondering.  Why did Jesus substitute “mind” for “strength”?  The reasons are likely many but I would like to highlight one. I think it has something to do with the relationship between doing and thinking.  I say that because Jesus replaces the doing word of the verse, “strength”, with the thinking word, “mind”.   What we do with this life we’ve been given is profoundly shaped by our "thinking", the preoccupations of our minds.  What we fear, what we worry about, what we dream, what we hope, what we believe about ourselves, what we believe about other people, what we believe other people believe about us, and so on, all these thoughts profoundly shape, indeed drive, what we do. 
To frame this more in the language of faith, faithfulness is shaped by faith Which Whom or What we place our trust in and what we believe about that Whom or What profoundly affects how we go about being faithful.  To say it more in Christian terms – faithfulness or discipleship is shaped and driven by a preoccupation with the question “Who are you Jesus?”  So with respect to our question at hand I think Jesus replaced the doing word with the thinking word because he’s leading these Pharisees rather craftily to seeing that if they want to get their faithfulness right, they are going to have to get who he is.  He is not just a possibility for the Messiah to whom they give the title Son of David.  They must understand that he is their Lord, Son of God.
The course of Jesus last few days in Matthews Gospel demonstrates this.  Just a couple days prior, Jesus did what the Messiah King was supposed to do; according to prophecy he rode a donkey into town.  All along the way the crowds were shouting: ““Hosanna to the Son of David!  Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!  Hosanna in the highest heaven!”  Then Matthew says something that certainly helps me make my point.  He writes, “When he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was in turmoil, asking, “Who is this?” (Mt. 21:9-10) The next couple of days all the main cliques among the religious authorities took turns interrogating him with respect to that question. 
Moving on, the next thing Jesus did was go to the temple and cleanse it of the big business of spiritual abuse that was going on there.  You see, if you were a faithful Jew coming to Jerusalem on pilgrimage and wanted to make the required peace offering at the temple by means of the sacrifice of a dove, you couldn’t just bring your own dove.  You had to buy the temple-raised dove that you could only buy with the temple currency that you could only get from the moneychangers who were happy to exchange your Roman coinage for a price. So, Jesus quite angrily overturns the tables of the moneychangers and the animal vendors saying: “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer’; but you are making it a den of robbers” (Mt. 21:13).  Doing that Jesus just did something only the God of Israel had the authority do and he also called the temple “My house”.  
So, who is Jesus and what has he come to do, the Jerusalem religious authorities ask.  Well, Jesus by his doings demonstrates that he is the God of Israel come to put things to right starting with cleansing his own house of spiritual abuse.  By his teachings Jesus wants the Pharisees to see that faithfulness isn’t the faithfulness of outward appearance that they had so astoundingly mastered.  Faithfulness begins with loving the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul or being, and with all your mind; which is preoccupying your inner self with wanting to know who God is, and so then wanting to know who Jesus is.  It follows from there that faithfulness will manifest itself as loving our neighbour as we love ourselves, which is something that cannot be done without knowing the steadfastly loving and faithful way God is towards us each.
To give an example, several years ago I took to the spiritual discipline of memorizing the Sermon on the Mount.  I tried to do it a verse a day and it took about 120 days.  Every morning I would memorize a verse and then I would attempt to just keep saying it to myself over and over throughout the day as best I could during times of mental idleness.  My purpose in undertaking this disciple was to train my mind to ponder the things of God rather than the worries and fears and judging and self-bashing with which I am so inclined to be preoccupied.  In those days I went for a run almost everyday and it was during that time that I really worked at focusing on that day’s verse.  Well, lo and behold, about halfway through the Sermon, more than fifty days in, Jesus gave me a glimpse of who he is.  He really is non-judgemental, forgiving, and gracious.  I really know and trust that about him.  It was like learning something of who my wife is, not something about my wife.  I can figure out all kinds of things about Dana, but sometimes it happens that I catch a glimpse of who she is and it changes me and the way I am in our relationship.  So, it was with Jesus that day.  I caught a glimpse of who he is and changed me and has been changing me ever since.
So, winding this all down, may I humbly make an invitation to you?  How about giving a shot at preoccupying your minds with who Jesus is?  Take up a spiritual discipline that will involve the mind like prayerfully pondering the Scriptures, praying the Lord's Prayer over and over.  Take up a spiritual discipline and I suspect Jesus will indeed reveal himself to you and it will prove transformational changing the way you treat yourself and your neighbour. Amen.