Saturday 18 July 2015

BUT GOD...The Two Most Powerful Words

Text: Ephesians 2:1-10; Esther 5:1-8
Audio Recording
Last week I talked about our Christian family story, the story of God’s pre-Creation plan to adopt us as his very own children.  Our story as Paul lays it out in Ephesians 1:3-14 is that God planned even before he laid the foundations of the creation that God the Son would become a human, Jesus of Nazareth, and that in and through him by the bonding work of the Holy Spirit God would unite all things in heaven and on earth in him.  Included in that story is God’s pre-Creation plan to adopt us as his very own children in Christ Jesus and apportion us an inheritance with him.  As God’s creation is good, we will do good works in it to the praise of God’s glorious grace.  All this is just because of the Trinity’s good pleasure and will, indeed his love.
In chapter two here Paul begins with acknowledging that there is a problem that might threaten God’s pre-Creation plan: we humans are willing participants in Death.  There’s a rogue power at loose in the air, so to speak, that we follow by following our passions and desires, by living “my way”.  We don’t get this in the English translation, but in verse two here where Paul mentions “the course of this world”, the word “course” in Greek is aeon meaning “an age” or the “life force” of an age or the “spirit of the times”.  If we capitalize Aeon, it becomes the name of a god stated in a way that sounded like one of the gods the ancient followers of Gnosticism believed in.  The “Aeon of this world” is what Paul is talking about and it is an evil power who deludes us by pleasure and clouds our minds so that we follow in its way by living “my way” to our own demise and destruction.  It is the way of death.
Paul calls those who follow the “Aeon of this world” “sons of disobedience”.  The Greek word for “disobedience” is apeitheia.  It sounds like apathy – unfeeling, uninterested.  It also sounds a bit like atheism, which means “without God”.  But neither of those words are its root.  Its root is peithia, which means to be persuaded, believing, convinced.  A-peitheia is the word the early church used to describe those who refused to believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that he is Lord and Saviour of the world, the Son of the only True God.  So it’s not just disobedience that Paul’s talking about here.  It is a lifestyle of blatant refusal of the love of God that he has so obviously revealed in and through Jesus Christ.  Humanity’s apeitheistic way of life, no matter what spin we put on it to explain ourselves and our “way of life”, is the way of death.  To be a son of Apeitheia following the “Aeon of this world” is to be a child of wrath.
To give an example of the “Aeon of this world” as it persists today, I find it ironic that at funerals today it is becoming popular, especially if the deceased was a man of successful stature, to play a recording of Mr. Sinatra singing his classic hit “My Way”.  The lyrics are as such:
“And now, the end is near and so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear.  I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.  
I've lived a life that's full.  I've traveled each and every highway.
But more, much more than this, I did it my way.  

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do.  And saw it through without exemption.
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew when I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way.

I've loved.  I've laughed and cried.  I've had my fill, my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside I find it all so amusing.
To think I did all that and may I say not in a shy way
- Oh no, oh no, not me - I did it my way.

For what is a man, what has he got?  If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way.
Yes, it was my way.”
“My Way” sung by Mr. Sinatra at a funeral just smacks of irony.  The Bible’s explanation for why there is death and suffering and evil in the world is that we humans choose to be our own gods who do it “my way”.  “My way” is the way to the grave in which we all will lie, so why glory in it?
Verse four begins with two of the most powerful words in all of history and they are not “my way”.  They are BUT GOD.  God has intervened in our “my way”-ing ourselves to death in a very surprising way.  God’s pre-Creation plan is not thwarted by our willing participation in death because God is rich in mercy and acts in love towards us and saves us by grace.  Let’s look back at Esther for a moment and think about grace. 
King Ashuerus showed grace to Esther and eventually saved her people from Haman’s plot to annihilate the Jews.  The king saw Esther standing outside his chamber door dressed up and looking pretty.  Even though she was his wife, she couldn’t just go in there for assuming right of entrance to the king was punishable by death no matter who you were.  Yet, the king sees her and extends the royal sceptre to her giving her access to himself, and he hears her request, and he acts for her benefit.  Such is grace.
I think we have lost the true Biblical definition of grace.  We like to say that grace is unmerited favour and confuse it with the courtroom idea of a judge finding someone guilty of crimes punishable by death and yet takes pity on him and waves the punishment saying Jesus’ death served in its stead.  Yet, the Bible’s definition of grace does not originate in the courtroom.  Rather, it comes from the royal throne room.  Grace is like when a royal figure, and in our case God, takies pity on a person and invites her into his presence where he extends his favour to her, listens to her request, and acts in beneficence for her.
Turning back to Ephesians and Paul’s mega-monumental BUT GOD, God has shown us this royal throne room grace.  God has seen us standing outside his chamber not dressed in our royal robes looking pretty like we deserve something but rather looking like the walking dead who have wasted the life he gave us on following the “Aeon of this world” along the course of “my way”.  Paul’s mega-monumental BUT GOD is that in his great love even while we were dead God has caused us to live again together with Christ Jesus – by grace we have been saved.  God has saved us, delivered us from death and the way of living that leads to it.  Our new reality in Christ is that God has raised us up together with Christ Jesus and seated us together with Christ Jesus in the heavenly realm where faith is now the way of life in which we live.  Furthermore, through us God is and will continue to demonstrate to the world that is under the influence of the “Aeon of this world” the immeasurable riches of his grace through acts of beneficence to us in Christ Jesus in the ages or aeons that are coming. And yes, Paul did just make a play on the word aeon.  An aeon is no god.  It is simply a period of time that is in God’s hands.  The new aeon we live in now and forever is filled with God’s grace – with access to God’s presence, God’s favour extended towards us, and his acting for our benefit.
Paul is saying that in us in Christ Jesus there has been a fundamental change in the nuts and bolts of human existence.  We in Christ who by nature were children of wrath bent on self-destruction are now by grace the adopted children of God.  By God’s gracious acting and not our own we are the one’s who have been saved from death and are created anew to live in Christ Jesus through faith.  Our way of life is no longer the “my way” that leads to death, but rather the “in Christ” way of faithfulness.  Instead of living apeithetically, we live peithetically convinced that in his love by his grace God has made us to be newly created for the good works that he had planned for us to do before he laid the foundations of Creation. 
To close, our song can no longer be the funeral durge of “My Way”.  Rather, we have a new song and it goes like this:
'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take Him at His word,
Just to rest upon His promise; just to know, thus saith the Lord.

How I love to trust in Jesus, just to trust His cleansing blood.
Just in simple faith to plunge me ‘neath the healing cleansing flood!

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!  How I've proved Him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!  Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

Yes, I've learned to trust in Jesus, and from sin and self to cease,
Now from Jesus simply taking life and rest and joy and peace.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!  How I've proved Him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!  Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

I'm so glad I learned to trust Him, precious Jesus, Savior, Friend,
And I know that He is with me, wilt be with me to the end...

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!  How I've proved Him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!  Oh, for grace to trust Him more!


The thing we must remember is the power of that mega-monumental BUT GOD.  No matter how dark and twisted or painful life can get there is always the BUT GOD...God's intervening graciously, himself, his own presence with us, lavishing his favour upon us, and acting for us.  God graciously acts to save when we are in the midst of life's twists and and turns...Oh, for grace to trust him more.  Amen.