Saturday 8 July 2017

The Yoke of Rest

Matthew 11
I can’t image the frustration Jesus must have been feeling at this point in his ministry; surrounded by a people who “just don’t get it”; he, their Messiah.  The Lord God come to be with his people to deliver and restore them and they just didn’t get it. 
John the Baptist knew who Jesus was.  When John baptized Jesus with his own eyes he saw the Holy Spirit descend upon Jesus in the form of a dove and with his own ears heard the voice of God the Father saying, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.”  But since imprisoned, John sent some of his own disciples to tell Jesus if you really are the one, then get on with it.  He didn’t quite understand what the Lord was up to.
And then, there were all those people who flocked to John out in the desert.  They just didn’t get it that he was as the one who came to prepare the way for the Messiah.  But, in his efforts to prepare the way John was just a little too prophetic, un peu trop prophetique.  He called to account everyone in Israel—the royalty, the people, the soldiers, the priests, and all the religious authorities.  But, as far as we know he said nothing about the Romans.  John came as a true prophet living an austere lifestyle in the desert and though people flocked to him they didn’t listen and in the end accused him of demon possession.  They just didn’t get it.  They didn’t get what the Lord God was up to in their midst.
Jesus, the Son of God, Immanuel (God with us), the Anointed One they were expecting had come.  With John a great crowd saw the dove and heard the voice.  Jesus then began wandering about Galilee proclaiming the Gospel that the Kingdom of God was at hand.  He healed people, cast out demons, and forgave sins.  Unlike John the Baptist Jesus stayed among the people in their towns eating and drinking with them in their homes.  But, they still just didn’t get who he was or that the Kingdom of God was in their midst.  They didn’t have that change of thinking that compelled them to confess Jesus as Lord and live like it.
 The people of God in Jesus day simply could not recognize that God was in their midst and that the very thing all of Israel was hoping for—the Kingdom of God being established—was happening before them at the hand of Jesus.  They just didn’t get it.  Missed all the cues.
But, wait a minute we shouldn’t be so quick to judge.  It may be that we, each of us, suffer from the same malady. Who here can say, “I know what God is doing in my life.” Or, “I know what God is dong in this church.” The flutes are playing, but seriously is there anymore than just a few us doing any dancing while everybody else seemingly goes on with life as usual. 
Well, enough of the guilt trip.  Just as he was long ago, Jesus is here to help us with our difficulty in being able to recognize what God is up to here.  He gives us an invitation: “Come to me, all you weary and heavy burdened faithful, church-goers, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Instead of judging us and berating us, Jesus offers us an invitation, an invitation to come to him and find rest.  What is this rest?  Well, a couple of weeks ago I did the Wednesday worship service up at Country Lane in Chatsworth.  I noticed a new face.  Afterwards I went up and introduced myself to her and it was obvious that even with me speaking loudly she was having great difficulty hearing me and I doubt she heard anything in the service.  There was a lady sitting with her who was either her daughter or a close friend.  “I said you must be new here.”  Speaking for her, the lady next to her told me the new resident’s name was Kay and that she was 94 years old.  I said, “Hi Kay. I’m Randy.”  Kay looked up at me and said very loudly, “I’ve been a Christian 86 years.  Every morning God speaks to me.  I don’t hear all that well, but he let’s me know he’s with me and I serve him every day.”  I said, “Yep, God is faithful.  It’s new every morning.”  She knows what rest is.
I was speaking to a man a couple of days ago who had had a heart attack a couple of months ago and they wound up having to do open heart surgery.  As he reflected on it all, he remarked how everything that happened the day he had his heart attack was God watching out for him.  His wife came in a just the right time to call Emergency Services and getting to the hospital and getting the right care at the right time.  He felt everything was in God’s hands and it’s given him a new sense that God really is looking out for him and involved in his life.  But, that wasn’t all.  They did the surgery a couple of days after the heart attack and it was serious, scary.  Yet, he felt such a calm and a peace washing over him.  He could feel the prayers of everybody.  He knows what rest is.
The rest Jesus invites us to and gives to us is knowing the steadfast love and faithfulness of God the Father just as Jesus himself knows it.  We are bound to him, unioned to him in the Holy Spirit.  The yoke he places around our necks is the Holy Spirit who teaches us who Jesus is as the Son of God.  The Holy Spirit makes us feel the rest.  He teaches us what Jesus said, “No one knows the Son except the Father and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”
Yet, the Holy Spirit is a yoke.  Yokes go around the necks of animals so that they can pull a load.  Jesus gives rest to those who devote themselves to pulling the load of daily prayer and Scripture reading.  He gives his rest to those who will pull according to his way; according to mercy, to generosity, and to compassion.  His rest abides with those who will whole-heartedly be his disciples.  A disciple is someone amidst a group of someone’s who commit together to study Jesus by trying to live according to the steadfast love and faithfulness of the Father that we have come to experience in Jesus the Son because he has yoked us to himself by the presence of the Holy Spirit upon us and in us.  To these, to us, Jesus gives rest.  Amen.