Saturday 24 March 2018

Jesus Is with Us...Not above Us

Matthew 28:16-20; John 14:15-27

This is the eighth in a series of eight sermons based on Greg Ogden’s book Essential Guide to Becoming a Disciple: Eight Sessions for Mentoring and Discipleship.
You have probably wondered why in the last few years ministers don’t preach from those grand elevated pulpits such as we have here and rather prefer a lectern on the floor.  Part of the answer is that hovering about up there, above the congregation makes us feel conspicuous, overbearing, and stuffy.  Being down here on the floor makes us feel like we’re one of you.  It’s more personable and chummy.  Down here we feel more like a coach while up there we feel more like a pontificate.  
The rest of the answer has to do with what the location of the pulpit says about God to people visiting a church.  The high pulpit can give the impression that God is above us, always watching, and unapproachable no matter how much grace we preach.  One can make the argument that the high pulpit is for reasons of visibility and acoustics.  Maybe so originally, but couple a high pulpit with an obsequious, ashen looking, dower, pompous pontificator telling you that God is a voyeur to your every sin and indeed your every sinful thought.  Woe and curses.  Some people soften that impression saying God is watching from above making everything go hunky-dory for you.  But what happens when things don’t go hunky-dory?  Well, a distant God is just as easily kept at a distance and then just as easily dismissed…as has happened in Western Christianity.
Preaching from a lectern on the floor at the level of the congregation on the other hand says that God is with us.  Jesus did not make the promise, “I will be above you always, until the end of the age.”  His promise was that he would be with us. 
Just take a second and think about this.  What if Jesus’ promise to us was rather to be above us than to be with us?  The effect of placing Jesus above us rather than with us is profoundly deadly to the church.  If he is above, then he is not with us.  He is not presently involved the work of his church or present to us in our individual lives.  He has simply left us, down here, to fend for ourselves trying to figure out what God wants from us.  Trying to forge a way for the church in the 21st Century in the wake of the death of cultural Christianity simply becomes our task rather than participating in what he is doing.  It is like he has left us to our own efforts to save his church from oblivion.  That’s just wrong.
If that’s what happens when the church thinks Jesus is above us, then what does it do to us as individuals?  If Jesus is above us, distant from us, a non-participant, then faithful living is just a matter of our own efforts, of doing what we think best hoping that God will bless it from above.  If that is the case, then no wonder we conjure up some sort magical power we call faith, invent rituals, and negotiate contracts with God (“I’ll do this for you God, if you do that for me.”).  If Jesus is above us, we are left to our own.  That’s scary.  But praise be to God! Jesus is with us.  He is not above us.  He is with us.  We are not alone and abandoned to our own efforts. 
Maybe the most significant change that needs to happen in the church today is a change in our thinking, in our way of understanding the very fabric of reality.  Everything about the way we do church and practice our own personal faith in Christ, I believe, is based in an understanding of reality in which God is above us, in which Jesus is above us.  Our perception of reality needs to effectually change to that of Jesus is with us.  For our churches to make the switch from being the religious institution that undergirded our culture in these days when the culture doesn’t want us to be that anymore to being a church that is out in the world in a missionary kind of way in this nation which is now a mission field, we must cease thinking of Jesus as being above and let Jesus retrain our thinking by letting us know he is with us.
I had this change of thinking and this is how it happened with me.  I was raised as Christian.  We went to church on and off with irregularity.  Going to church was something you knew you were supposed to do.  It was the super-daddy of all New Year’s resolutions.  It was a good habit to be into; one that would make the rest of life better because God, who was way off somewhere up there, would bless you for it.
Well, on New Year’s Eve when I was almost twenty I threw a party and nobody showed up.  Things got dark for me that night.  I started to think that if this was the sum total of my life Jesus could do a better job with me than I was and I decided my life was his.  I called my best friend’s mom the next morning and asked if she was going to church.  She said, “yes.” And I said, “I’ll see you there”.  That’s when I made the decision to start going to church on my own.
I also started sensing that God was calling me to the ministry and so I made a bargain with him.  I said, “God, I will go this route as long as I don’t have to go it alone.  Bring me a wife…the sooner the better.”  
  A year later I was in university and I just got dumped by the girl I thought was “the one”.  I knew I was called to the ministry, but it looked like I was going alone.  The bargain I made with God ended through no apparent fault of my own.  I sat there in my dorm room, all alone, having a pity party.  It is hard to describe what happened next.  All I can say is that it was like a door opened in my sense of reality and Jesus stepped in.  From that moment on I have had the awareness that I am not alone.  That he is with me.  Jesus is always with me.  I’ve nothing to fear.  It was also during those days that I really began to realize that God loved me, that I was one of his beloved children. 
I always feel like people look at me like I’m mentally ill when I tell that story.  That’s odd because the only place I ever really tell it is at church.  We church people should say that an awareness of Jesus with us, his disciples, is something we should all have.  Truly, we should expect disciples of Jesus to have an awareness of Jesus being with them and celebrate it when it happens.  It would also be great if we as congregations really had the awareness that Jesus is with us and that by the power of the Holy Spirit he is leading us.  But, like the song says, we persist in believing “God will be there, watching from above. Go now in peace, in faith, and in love.”  It would help us to change our way of thinking if we sang, “Jesus is here, leading forth in love. Go now in peace, in faith, and in love.”

Jesus presence with us isn’t something that only crazy people sense.  It is something he has promised to his disciples.  He is with us.  Like a presence in an empty chair, he is with us.  Amen.