Saturday 29 June 2019

Freedom in the Spirit

There was an elderly gentleman that I once knew.  He was a Centenarian and lived a very full life; a life which he very much lived “his way” in the Sinatra sense.  He was a veteran of WWII and a successful entrepreneur.  He liked to talk as long as you agreed with him and even at his age his mind was a sharp as ever on the opinions that he held.  Whenever he and I had a chat he usually picked the topic and as I was a minister he liked to talk about religious matters.  Unfortunately, his knowledge of the topic did not venture past his childhood.  He had more than a couple of stories to tell about growing up in a strict Baptist home; stories that were mostly about things you weren’t supposed to do on Sunday which he would sneak off and do.  When he became an adult he went to war, went to work, and went to the clubhouse, but never to church.  He could never get past the legalism and moralism of the Christian religion that he had forced upon him growing up. 
The first few times I had the opportunity to chat with him on the matter I tried to nudge him past his opinions which he formed in response to his strict religious upbringing.  On one of those occasions he asked me what I believed happened to us when we die.  I told him that all of that high-handed Heaven and Hell stuff he was threatened with when he was young just isn’t really in the Bible in that bully-pulpit kind of way.  The Bible really doesn’t say much about either.  I went on to tell him that I really couldn’t say much about what to expect other than when we die we will come face to face with the greatest sense of being Loved that we have ever known and my basis for that is the way I have glimpsed an experience or two of God in my life in the here and now.  Needless to say, the subject got changed.
Speaking for myself, I have to say that this man’s story breaks my heart.  The Christian “religion” that he was bullied with as a child is not what following Jesus is about.  Following Jesus is not about a bunch of rules of conduct that you have to obey for fear of a wrathful God sentencing you to Hell if you should walk in the way of the wicked or if you failed to believe that Jesus’ death was your Get-Out-of-Hell-Free card.  The Christian faith is about being set free from all that religious legalistic and moralistic hub-bub in order to live a new life led by the Spirit of God who lives in us and transforms us.  It breaks my heart that this man had his faith destroyed by being spiritually bullied with a yoke of law when he could have known love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  He could have been raised to want to know God and the love of God more fully, but all he got was spiritually bullied.
Paul writes, “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”  The freedom he refers to is freedom from an old existence that is ruled by sin and is undergirded by fear and leads to death – that twisted old existence where good becomes evil and evil seems so good.  Free from that old existence we are now free to live in a new existence that Paul normally refers to as “ in Christ”.
At the end of chapter 2 of Galatians Paul writes: “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faithfulness of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”  For us, this entails that we too have been crucified with Christ Jesus and it is no longer we ourselves who live but Christ Jesus living in and through us.  We have a new existence in Jesus Christ that leads to new life, a new life that is ruled by him and made real in us by the Holy Spirit living in us and leading us to faithfulness.  This new life doesn’t look like religious moralism.  Rather, it shows itself as faithfulness working through love – love for one another and love for our neighbours.  The Holy Spirit points us to Christ Jesus and compels us to love as he has loved us.  The freedom for which Christ has set us free becomes reality in loving service to others.
As we give heed to the voice of the Holy Spirit, who from deep within us compels us to love, to reconcile, to pray, to read the Scriptures regularly and to meditate on them we find our new existence in Christ.  We find ourselves being transformed, being made new in that we become more and more compassionate, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, and more in control of ourselves – and that, my friends, is true freedom.  It is like God is overwriting our old hard drive with the new programming of the new human existence that is in Christ Jesus.  True freedom is found in heeding the voice of the Holy Spirit who compels us to love.  Amen.