Saturday 7 May 2016

Living in the Reign

Luke 19:1-28
In 1994 during my first summer of seminary I did an internship in a large country church in Virginia in the area where my parents’ families originated.  One afternoon I went to visit a man, Mr. Lotts, who would’ve been a distant cousin or something of my great-grandmother.  My great-great-grandmother had married twice due to the death of a spouse.  The first husband’s last name was Lotts so Mr. Lotts was related from there and my great-grandmother was a child from the second whose last name was Thompson.  Mr. Lotts lived about three or 4 miles from where Great-grandma lived and every so often he would drop by as country people do from time to time.
Now, Mr. Lotts was on the membership list of this church, but it had been years since he had been there.  He had been rather active but he got disgruntled a decade or so prior about something that didn’t seem right to him and so he just stopped going.  Regardless, he was family.  My dad had mentioned his name a time or two and I wanted to meet him.
Well, I dropped in on him unannounced one afternoon as people out in the country do and introduced myself.  Not that I needed to.  He had heard through the grapevine that I was working at the church that summer and I look so much like my dad it was obvious who I was.  We sat and talked and he was a bit emotional about my visit.
He told me a story about my great-grandmother and a visit that she had received back in the 70’s from the minister of that church.  She had been widowed since the early 60’s and rarely went anywhere.  (I guess she’s the one I got my hermit instinct from.  My wife would find that funny.)  She was a member of that church too but didn’t go.  She didn’t drive and nobody came to get her and that didn’t matter because back in the day my great-grandfather wasn’t exactly the church type so they never went.
The story went that one day the minister of New Providence Presbyterian just dropped in to visit my great-grandmother.  Of course, he didn’t call ahead.  That’s the way it’s done in the country.  I can’t see the visit lasting more than 15 or 20 minutes because Great-grandma wasn’t much of a talker.  As he was leaving Great-grandma made him wait a moment while she went to get something for him to take with him.  She had less than a little, but if people visited she didn’t let them go away empty handed.  She came back with a jar of homemade jelly and with tears in her eyes she gave it to him and said, “This is the first time a minister has ever been to my house.”  Apparently, that visit really meant something to Great-grandma.  It honoured her and I’m pretty sure it said to her that God remembered her and cared.
I don’t know why this story would stick out to Mr. Lotts other than it was an example of why he had gotten upset at this church years prior.  Or, I might have been the first minister-type to come to his house.  Great-grandma was a widow and lived by herself, but the church people rarely if ever checked in on her for some reason.  I haven’t heard too many stories about Great-granddaddy.  He died before I was born.  But, what I have heard was that he was a very hard worker, but also he could drink and had a pretty decent temper.  According to my dad who was actually raised by them rather than my grandparents, the two of them could have fights that were so intense that he hid under the table.
Maybe this story was important for Mr. Lotts that this story because it was just an example of how church people don’t act Christian and ministers…well, how ministers can get pinned down to looking after the people who pay their salaries to the neglect of those who can’t.  How much would it have been a support to my Great-grandmother in her grief or in the storms of her marriage if the people of the church thought as much about the real needs of their not-so-churched neighbours whom they all knew the gossip about rather than the things and people of their own at church and simply went and visited like that minister did?  I think it was the lack of that authentic, godly, personal caring that had upset Mr. Lotts so that he stopped going to church.  And it is not that they were hypocrites or anything like that.  They were good, solid down to earth people who cared but like us, like myself, we just forget to love our neighbours sometimes.  We fail to see people in their real needs.  We fail to sense how lonely and hurting people can be or if we can sense it, we lack the courage to act.
Anyway, this story about my Great-grandmother is one that comes to mind when I read the story of Zacchaeus.  Jesus didn’t get pinned down to being the Messiah of just the religious folk, but rather saw Zacchaeus for who he was.  I also think of this story because of Zacchaeus giving back quite a bit more than a jar of jelly because Jesus came to his house.  (During that summer I once came away from a visit with a couple of fresh picked onions.)
 Zacchaeus enacted something similar to what in the Old Testament was called a Year of Jubilee.  Every fiftieth year Israelites were to return lands to their ancestral families and free any Israelite slaves they had acquired.  It was a fair and just redistribution of wealth that God commanded but as far as we know it never happened until the days of the early church in which the Book of Acts says:
Awe came upon everyone, because many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. All who believed were together and had all things in common; they would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need.  Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having the goodwill of all the people. And day-by-day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved. (Acts 2:43-47 NRSV)
Today, Ascension Sunday, we celebrate Jesus enthronement as Lord of all Creation.  He is that ruler who has gone away to a distant country to receive power and is coming back.  In the meantime, he has left us to look after a few things pertaining to his reign.  He has left us each with a bit of his wealth, meaning the Holy Spirit, and he’s given us one commandment – to love as indiscriminately as he has loved us.  Acting according to that love is what I call living under his reign.  It is important we follow this commandment because it gives a picture of what things will be like when he returns.
Here’s an idea for how we might live in the reign.  What if we got together sometime and made a bunch of jelly and put it into small, little half or quarter pint jars.  Put little labels on them that said something like, “Because We Care”.  Then, we go out in two’s or three’s to every house in the area and give it away.  making special effort to talk to those we know are grieving.  It would take about as much work as a fundraiser, but would say a lot more.  I think it would get the message across.  Think about it.  Amen.