Saturday 25 February 2017

High on a Mountain

Matthew 17:1-9
It was Sunday December 5, 1999.  I had received a phone call from my brother at about 4:30 that morning to tell me that my father died.  The 5th was a Sunday morning and I had responsibilities in my church down in Marlinton, West Virginia.  I could have made some calls and excused myself, but I just wanted to be in church with my church family.  The service went well.  Yet, I had to leave immediately after the service to lead worship at a small chapel where I also had responsibilities.  To get to Mary’s Chapel I had to drive up Elk Mountain.  That’s twenty-five minutes of mountain road to get there on time.  
Well, it was a warmish December morning.  It was foggy down in Marlinton, which was way down in the Greenbrier River Valley.  But then, about two-thirds of the way up, I found myself suddenly above the clouds.  So, I pulled over at an almost providentially well-placed wayside just to take a minute and look around.  The leafless trees were wet and glimmering in the sunshine.  The clouds were aglow with a glory all their own.  I stood about ten feet above them and it was if I was looking down on a sea of clouds on which I could step out and walk.  It was beautiful, just absolutely beautiful, quiet, peaceful. It was good.
I got the sensation that God had created this moment just for me on that morning.  Dad was finally free of his suffering and at rest and my heavenly Father just loved me enough to let me know that.  Not that I didn’t know that already.  Everything was going to be okay.  There was nothing to fear.  I sat there a moment and thanked God but I had to go, a mountain top experience.
I think of that experience whenever I come across the story of Jesus’ Transfiguration though it pales in comparison to the mountaintop experience that Peter, James, and John had with Jesus.  Jesus took them high up the mountain and there they saw King Jesus in his glory joined by Moses, the bringer of the Law, and Elijah the Prophet who themselves had had very powerful mountain top experiences.  Moses received the Law up on Mt. Sinai which described the way of life that would distinguish the people of God.  Elijah also had found himself up on Mt. Sinai in a cave while running for his life and it was there he heard the still, small voice of the Lord telling him he wasn't alone in his faithfulness. 
Struck with awe Peter blurts out how good it is to be there standing in the light of the glory of God and suddenly (there's always a suddenly) a bright cloud overshadowed them; like the cloud that consumed Mt. Sinai when Moses went up it and the cloud of the glory of the LORD from which God whispered to Elijah; i.e., the Holy Spirit.  Then God the Father spoke, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.  Listen to him!”
Realizing that they were in the presence of God and that Jesus, their friend and teacher, is God’s Son, Peter, James, and John fell face down on the ground, absolutely scared to death.  They knew that they had no right to be there.  They were not worthy to be in the presence of God.  A common superstitious kind of fear back then was that you would die on the spot if you ever come into contact with God.
But, Jesus then said to them not, “Get up and don’t be afraid,” but rather, “Be raised and don’t be afraid!”  The Greek word there for the act of rising is in the passive voice.  It was done to them.  They were made to get up and why every translator misses this, I have now idea.  The commentators don’t, but the translators do.  It is Jesus who is raising his disciples not the disciples themselves simply rising up on their own. 
The Transfiguration of Jesus speaks also of our resurrection from the dead.  By Jesus’ command and in the same power of person-establishing, creation-renewing love by which God raised him from the dead, i.e., the Holy Spirit, God the Father because of Jesus, the Son’s, giving of his life and his ongoing intercession for us and our union with him in and through the Holy Spirit will in the same way raise us from the dead by the same power of person-establishing, creation renewing love of the Holy Spirit.  By Jesus own command and because of his death and resurrection for us, we who are in him have nothing to fear in the presence of God the Father.  We have nothing to fear.  We’ve only to bask in the goodness of the glory of the Holy Trinity – the love of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  We have nothing to fear in the presence of God. 
So, back to our own mountaintop experiences, reflecting back on the experience that I shared with you, that was a moment when, I believe, God spoke to me.  He comforted me, his beloved child.  As Christians, we will have moments like that and they are good.  Yet, let’s not major on the minors.  There is something greater here that we must take in: we as Jesus' disciples in union with him, the Risen and Ascended One; we, because of the free gift of the Holy Spirit living in us; we, are living in the Transfiguration at this very moment and always.  
What Jesus is now – resurrected and glorified – he is now also making us to share in because his life is in us and our life is in him.  He is making us to rise up and be like him.  He has poured his Spirit upon us, into us, and it is good.  The Father has spoken the Word of life into us and by the powerful working of the Holy Spirit we are being transfigured to reflect Jesus Christ more and more through our own lives and our life together as a church in his name.  God is at work in us each and our Christian fellowship and all Christian fellowships changing us to be more and more in the image of Christ Jesus.
Yet, let us not hang it all on God’s shoulders.  He has also called us to obedience.  The Father commands us to listen to his Son, to Jesus, and therefore to live according to what Jesus has said.  The Christian life is more than just occasional moments of love and assurance from the Trinity.  It is certainly more than just being good and doing our part out of a well-formed sense of duty. 
The Christian life is found in following; following Jesus, abiding by his teachings, immersing ourselves in prayer, studying and embodying the Scriptures, and laying down ourselves for those around us in unselfish love that they may see the love of God.  We can have mountain top experiences, but Christian life, the new life in Christ, is found coming down the mountain with Jesus and following in the cross-formed way of life of dying to the “me, myself, and I” instinct that we follow blindly and living by his teachings enabled by the Holy Spirit.  Amen.