Saturday 8 April 2017

A Favourite Hymn

We all have our favourite hymns.  I have my list of favourites, my funeral list you could say, the songs I want played at my funeral.  I would like my funeral to start with “I Sing the Almighty Power of God” sung to a tune that I wrote for it.  I should probably record it so that the musicians will know it and don’t play it to the tune of Forest Green which works for “O Little Town of Bethlehem”, but not so much for “I Sing the Almighty Power of God”.  I am moved by the last two lines of that hymn: “While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care, and everywhere that I could be, Thou, God, art present there.” 
Next I would have everybody sing, “Praise to the Lord, the Almighty” the way my friend and contemporary Christian artist Glen Soderholm does it.  The melody is the same as in our hymnals, but I like his accompaniment.  I have found the end of verse two to be always the case and a helpful reminder.  “Have you not seen how your heart’s wishes have been granted through God’s kind ordaining?”  I would next have everybody sing “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” to the tune of Nettleton.  To me that hymn most adequately describes what it is to be human before a gracious God.  We are “prone to wander” yet God tunes our hearts to sing his praise. 
I would also have a couple of Christmas hymns at my funeral.  “Come, Thou Long-expected Jesus” to the tune of Hyfrydol.  That’s a song of hope and my prayer for this messed up world.  We would also have to sing “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing”.  That would serve as the theology lesson for day.  It is all about God with us as the man Jesus.
Next, we would sing “I know whom I have believ-ed, and am persuaded, that he is able, to keep that which I’ve committed unto him against that day.”  That’s an appropriate hymn for when you’re leaving people you love behind.  That’s also a very special hymn to me because whenever I go back home Mom pulls out the hymnal and starts playing hymns and that’s the one I will always hear her voice singing in my head.  We’d also have to sing “In the Sweet By and By” because my sisters and I sang that with my Dad weeks before he died as best we could in harmony.  Dad always wanted to sing bass in a Gospel quartet.
I would have three passages of scripture read.  Psalm 23 KJV of course. Isaiah 35 about the desert blooming.  I’ve seen those deserts in bloom.  1 Corinthians 15:51-58 about resurrection and when it comes to where it says “Death has been swallowed up in victory.  Where, O Death, is your victory?  Where, O Death, is your sting?” everybody has to say it together and shout it.  And they have to shout it at the graveside too!  Whoever is preaching need not say anything about me, but rather proclaim Resurrection and New Creation.
Finally, the service will end with “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling” to the tune of Hyfrydol.  I want all them grieving people leaving with a taste of our being “lost in wonder, love and praise.”
Oh well, talking about your funeral list may be a bit morbid on a Sunday morning but I think what he have in Philippians 2:5-11 is Paul’s funeral hymn.  Whether or not he wrote it is not known to us.  He wrote Philippians from prison.  He writes with confidence that he will be released, but he does so recognizing that it was highly possible that he might be martyred.  So, his death was on his mind and he uses this hymn to speak a word, maybe his last word, to a conflicted situation to the church at Philippi.  He wants them to get past their conflict by having in themselves the same humility that Jesus embodied
The hymn tells us that though he was equal to his Father, Jesus humbly set aside all claims to equality with God and became a man, a servant, a slave.  As a man he humbled himself unto death, indeed death on a cross.  So, God the Father has exalted him so that everything must bow to him, to the Father’s glory.
At the heart of the hymn is the message that Jesus did not do what worldly power does, which is exploit status for its own benefit.  He let those worldly powers who were claiming to be god’s or to have power over God do the worst they could do to him...death on a cross in utter humiliation.  The Prince of peace, Lord of all creation – the powers put him to death in the way they put treasonous thugs to death.  Behind the scenes were the powers of sin, evil, death, the Satan, all believing they had power even to put God to death. 
But Jesus stuck to the plan of humbling himself and not using his power as God to bully the powers aside and assert himself to be God.  Rather, by his humiliating death he unmasked the powers and shamefully exposed them for the petty tyrants they are.  The worldly powers kill the innocents, kill the good, kill the meek, kill the faithful, kill those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, kill those who mourn, kill those who show mercy, kill the pure in heart, kill the peace-makers, kill those who heal.  They kill to keep themselves in power.  By exposing their petty and shameful behaviour Jesus opens our eyes to see the powers for what they are and even to see ourselves for who we are as complicitors.  No one can hear the story of Jesus and his death and say anyone other than Jesus was in the right.   Well, not only did Jesus unmask the powers he showed us what God is like.  Jesus on the cross is the very nature of God. 
Something more than an unjust death happened that day.  Just as on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, the High Priest would place his hands onto the scapegoat and whisper the sins of the people into its ear and then it would be lead away into the wilderness to be set free only to meet its death by predators.  So, Jesus, the incarnate Son of God, took humanity’s sin to himself, bore it into the wilderness of political power plays where the High Priest publically proclaimed false accusations against him and then he was destroyed in death by the powers of imperial predation.  By his death everything is now different.  His resurrection, his rising from death, is the first sign that things have changed. 
Jesus and his cross is the way God establishes his kingdom on earth.  His way, the way of humility of self-emptying oneself of power and status to bring forth healing to this creation’s brokenness is the way we his followers are to conduct ourselves…yet, not simply in imitation of Jesus, but because we have his mind in us.  He has poured his Spirit into us and we have the power to be humble as he is humble.  He has made us able to bend our knees before him.  Will we empty ourselves of prideful opinions, judgemental ought’s, and attempts to get our own way and yield ourselves to him?  Amen.