Friday 14 April 2017

From "I Am Not" to "I Am"

John 18:1-19:42
An interesting feature of John’s Gospel is the number of times the phrase “I am” occurs particularly from Jesus.  It is a phrase loaded in meaning.  Linguistically, in Greek we can say “I am” just by using the first person singular form of the verb “to be” which in Greek is simply “eimi”.  If you then wish to add emphasis to yourself, you add the first person singular pronoun “ego” (from which we get our word “ego”) so that it is “ego eimi” or “I am”.  Jesus makes some fairly significant “ego eimi” or “I am” claims throughout John’s Gospel.
Many scholars will say that Jesus’ use of “ego aimi” or “I am” is his claiming to be God.  They say this because the name that God gave for himself to Moses at the burning bush was the first person singular form of the Hebrew verb “to be”, which in Hebrew it is pronounced “Yahweh”.  So, when Jesus says “I am” he is saying “I am Yahweh.”
Here’s a few of Jesus’ “I am” statements.  First, when he is conversing with the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s Well he tells her that the time is soon to come that the true worshippers will worship the Father in Spirit and Truth. The Father seeks such as these to worship him because he is Spirit and must be worshipped in Spirit and Truth.  She then says that the Messiah is coming and he will proclaim all things to us.  We translate what Jesus says “I am he, the one who is speaking to you.”  More literally Jesus says “I am, the One who speaks to you.”  When you push into what Jesus is literally saying there it is “I am Yahweh.  I am speaking personally to you.”  This is his claim to be the Word of God become flesh, more or less.
Next, we have some more familiar “I am” statements from Jesus.  I am the Bread of Life.  Whoever comes to me will never be hungry; whoever believes in me will never be thirsty” (6:35).  I am the living bread that came down from heaven.  Whoever eats of this bread will live forever” (6:51).  I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life” (8:12).  “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I am” (8:28).  “Very truly I tell you, before Abraham was, I am” (8:51).  I am the gate.  Whoever enters by me will be saved…” (10:9).  I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (10:11).  I am the resurrection and the life.  Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die” (11:25).  I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  No one comes to the Father except through me” (14:6).  I am the True Vine, and my Father is the Vinedresser’ (15:1).  I am the Vine, you are the branches.  Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing” (15:5).
This brings us to the arrest scene.  Judas, the Temple police, and a detachment of Roman soldiers (maybe as many as 600) come to arrest Jesus in the garden.  Jesus asks who they are looking for and they say “Jesus of Nazareth.”  Jesus answers, “I am” and they inexplicably fall to the ground.  There should be no doubt who is in authority at this moment.  The military of the strongest empire in the world at the time has no power over him, but rather are forced to lay at his feet.  Peter drew his sword and wounded the slave of the High Priest.  Jesus makes him put it away and heals the wound.  Under his authority there will be no war!  Jesus lets them arrest him and the disciples go free.
There are two instances in John’s Gospel where “I am” is said by people other than Jesus.  The first is in chapter nine when Jesus healed a beggar who had been born blind of his blindness.  The man’s neighbours couldn’t believe he was the same man.  Some said he was.  Others said he wasn’t.  They kept asking is this the man who used to sit and beg.  The man with great frustration kept answering “Ego eimi.” “I am.”  He been made a new person by the One who is “I am”.  Later after the man had been put on trial by the religious authorities for being healed on the Sabbath and suffered the verdict of expulsion from the synagogue, an act that showed the spiritual blindness of the religious authorities, Jesus finds the man and asks him if he believes in the Son of Man.  Son of Man is the Title for the Messiah.  The man says show him to me that I might believe.  Jesus answers, “The One speaking to you is he.”  This is supposed to remind us of what Jesus told the woman at the well.  Jesus is the Creating Word of God become flesh.  Jesus spoke and created this bling beggar anew by healing him.  Gave him a new personhood so that he can now say “I am.”
The second instance of someone saying “I am” is Peter when he denies Jesus.  Except, the wording is a bit different.  Peter is standing off watching as Jesus is put on trial and a slave-girl asks him if he is one of the disciples.  In English Peter answers “I am not”.  In the Greek text Peter omits the personal pronoun for “I”, “ego” and just says “eimi ouk”.  If we are close readers of Greek, we will notice that omitting “ego” is significant.  Peter’s answer reflects that in his denial of Jesus he has denied his own personhood.  He has no personhood apart from his association to Jesus who is the True “I am”.
Such is humanity.  So it is for every one of us.  We have no  true personhood apart from being in relationship to Jesus, to the One who is “I am”.  Jesus is the resurrection and the life; the Way, the Truth, the Life.  The is no life-giving, life-filled relationship to God except in him.  He is the Light of the world; the living Bread; the Vine in whom we must abide if our lives are going to amount to anything.  No one can say “I am” apart from the “I am” we are in Jesus who is the true “I am”.  Wow, I’m getting philosophical today.
Jesus is the Word of God become flesh who makes all things new.  The tragedy his trial and crucifixion reveals to us is that we humans are utterly messed up.  We are infected with a disease of the heart, soul, mind, and strength called Sin.  It is a spiritual disease that affects our relationship to God, to each other, and to all of creation.  Even creation itself is infected with it.  Death is its unavoidable consequence and outcome.
We are powerless over sin and by our complicity in it we are destroying ourselves and God’s good creation.  Like an addiction we cannot just stop doing it.  The great physicist Robert Oppenheimer said when he realized he had been used to create the atomic bomb, “I am become death”.  So humanity whom God created in his own image has become death. 
Getting religion can’t cure us.  The blindness of religion is demonstrated quite well by the religious authorities who of all people should have known who Jesus was but didn’t.  They simply felt their own power threatened by him and so had the Romans kill him.  Religious authority corrupts and it will sooner than later throw its coercive power behind the power of empire.  The history of power and war in the Western world for the last 2,000 years teaches us that.  Christians have killed Christians to gain the power of empire.
Empire, political power, cannot save us from our own demise in sin.  Thinking that we are smart enough to elect good leaders who are rational enough to solve the world’s problems is a delusion.  Pilate asked, “What is Truth?” when the Truth was standing right in front of him.  Then, he thinks that killing Jesus is the best political solution to the situation.  Empire kills.  Power is addictive and it inevitably becomes unmanageable, out of anyone’s control.  I am concerned that the current President of the United States who has demonstrated addiction to power in the course of his business career has now discovered (like many other world leaders) the ultimate “fix” in the relative ease of being able to make the command, “Bomb them.”
Religion and Empire cannot save us.  Let us not be deceived.  When the two of them collude it is antichrist. 
But, there is hope – Jesus is the Word of God by which God created everything became human flesh.  By his death he has dealt with sin and death to in the way according to Scripture, bearing it away once and for all unto death.  By Jesus death, God has put sin and death to death.  In Jesus, the great “I am” God has condemned sin and punished it with death, a sentence carried out in the flesh of Jesus who is “I am”, who is “Yahweh”; a flesh that will, come Easter, live again free of sin and death. 
Jesus death was the Big Bang of a New Creation of which his resurrection was the first sign.  Until he returns to put things to right he has given us the Holy Spirit who dwells in us and binds us to Jesus to share in his resurrection life.  The Holy Spirit creates community in the image of Jesus.  The hope of this world is now visible in small, neighbourhood fellowships of Jesus’ disciples.  If we want to escape the “I am not” of our sin infected existence and become somebody’s who matter, if we want to be able to say “I am” like the healed blind, following Jesus and loving each other and our neighbours as he has loved us is the vine in which we will bear that fruit.  Amen.