Monday 12 August 2013

Counting the Cost

          People often remark how freeing it is to simplify your life by getting rid of the stuff you don’t need and even the stuff you do need. I did such a thing when I moved to Canada from West Virginia. I gave away everything I had except for kitchen stuff, some personal stuff, my books, and my computer. I came to Canada with only three carloads of stuff. It truly was freeing to be rid of that stuff. I could have had a great big yard sale, but I still would have had a few things to give away and the couple of hundred made, to me, would not have been worth the effort. I did experience getting rid of the stuff as freeing. I knew that there were some things I would have to reacquire eventually up here in Canada and when it came time to get some basic furniture and stuff when I moved into the manse, somebody not associated with this church gave me the essentials. Our Lord does look after his own, and I truly believe that when you are at bare minimum, having nothing to count on but the Lord, he comes through. This should point us in the direction of simplifying our lives of possessions in order to know what it is to have the Trinity truly provide for us. Otherwise, we can naively believe that the Lord provided for us when actually we did it ourselves.
Being a disciple of Jesus Christ is costly and I’ve come to understand that the cost is learning how to give and in order to do that we most count the cost of what our possessions mean to us. Simplifying our lives of possessions so that we have to rely on the gracious provision of the Triune God of grace and the communion of saints is a big step towards learning to live in the Kingdom of God. You see, when we all have the means to acquire as well as actual possession of everything we could possibly want, we totally take for granted the things that we actually need and I would go as far as to say we forget what our true needs are. In this age of Materialism and Consumerism, the experience of having to rely on the Trinity and the communion of saints is grossly supplanted by a false sense of security which we call self-reliance. Bother me if I’m wrong, but I think self-reliance is one of if not the most detrimental, indeed idolatrous, characteristics of our culture affecting us each. Our way of life, our economy, is built on the principle that everybody should be able to provide for themselves, but…if you look at the collective debt of every household in North America and beyond, something is terribly wrong. Most of us are not self-reliant. It’s an illusion. In fact, most of us are simply burying ourselves in the slavery of debt while some very sick corporations and individuals profit from it. But, then we have to ask what the alternative is because if everybody decided to simplify their lives of possessions, the consequence to the global economy would be utter disaster.
           One alternative, would be a more communal style of living in our neighbourhoods. Farley Mowat’s first novel, People of the Deer describes his involvement with an inland Inuit people known as the Ihalmiut. They numbered about 7,000 in the 1880’s and only 30 by 1950. They were starving to death because White’s were killing the Caribou they relied on en mass. One thing that struck me about Mowat’s description of the Ihalmiut way of life was the utter lack of a concept of private ownership. If there was a shovel, it belonged to everybody in the clan and if you needed to use it, you asked around until you found it. If we applied this way of life to our neighbourhoods, can you imagine how much closer we would all become with all the visiting that goes on while we try to locate a shovel, or a lawnmower, or a ladder? I think that sort of a neighbourhood vision is as counter-culture as we could possibly get in our culture, but I think its very Christian and would prove to be very evangelistic. But anyway, we’re not supposed to be talking about being counter-culture. We need to talk more about the spiritual problem of attachment to possessions and secondly, intentionally trying to simplify our lives of them. The reason is that it is truly freeing and does open up space in our lives inwardly and outwardly for Jesus to display his Lordship.
A few years back, a Quaker theologian and writer, Richard J. Foster best known for his book The Celebration of Discipline, wrote The Freedom of Simplicity in which he rather nicely covers the spiritual problem we have with possessions and what to do about it. Firstly, attachment to possessions is a form of idolatry that affects us at the level of how willing we are to give in order to meet the needs of others. In the new humanity which is the Christian faith, the new humanity which is indwelt by the Holy Spirit and becoming more and more the image of Christ, Jesus is our model, Jesus of Nazareth who owned nothing and gave his very life for all. He had nothing, but God the Father saw to it that he had everything he needed. His life was all about being able to give.
We live our lives completely differently. We teach our children that if they want something, they must earn the means to buy it so that it is their possession. We adults do the very same thing. We sell our time for money to be able to buy and possess things we need or think we need or simply just want for whatever reason. Yet, what happens? Who here does not wish they had more time to do devotions, to spend with family, to be creative, to just sit and look around and breathe in the panorama and be thankful? How many of us find ourselves waking up in the middle of the night with minds racing about all the things that need to be done? How many of us simply no longer have the mental space to deal with one more thing? This is what attachment to possessions causes.
           In the second place, Foster gives an alternative for us and it is to simplify our lives by giving away what we don’t need and being intentional about living on the bare essentials from there on. This frees up our inner worlds. It makes us realize how much we truly have resource-wise that we could share with those who need. Moreover, it simply frees us up to be able to give. But, there is a catch. Foster says if we really want to address the heart of our problem, we must identify those things that are most meaningful to us and give them away and there is a profound reason for this: when we examine our attachments to our possessions particularly those that mean the most, we come to understand ourselves in a deeply profound way; our brokenness, our idolatry, even our deep need for the soul cleansing that Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection provide.
           For a very simple example, two weeks ago I found an attachment that was very important to me, William’s little blue stuffed puppy that he has had maybe since day one. Saturday a week ago, William and I went to do some errands and Puppy came along. That night at bedtime, Puppy was nowhere to be found and I couldn’t recall if Puppy made it back into the house. So, William in his jammies and I got in the car and went searching and asking for Puppy. The next day either Dana or I did the same. I was deeply affected by the whole thing. I probably missed Puppy more than William did. I searched the Net to see if we could get a new one. They’re not made anymore. Monday came and Dana took William and Alice to get a new stuffy. William got a monkey because he is affectionately known as a silly monkey. Later that evening we had minister friends and their children over for dinner. The children went down in the basement to play. All of a sudden I heard William shouting, “I found Puppy. Mommy, Daddy I found Puppy!” Up the stairs he came to show us. I about cried.
           The point isn’t that I’m going to have to give Puppy away because he means too much to me. He’s William’s Puppy after all and one day he’ll/we’ll figure out what to do with it. Yet, realizing my over-attachment to Puppy made me look inside and ask why. Well, me being the youngest of four, my stuffies were often used by my siblings to be mean to me. Moreover, with my parents divorcing while I was a small child my stuffies meant more to me than they otherwise would have. And so, something I have to keep telling myself about William is that he’s a happy kid in a healthy home and he will not grow up with the same pains I did. To me, that is quite freeing.
            But, that’s an adult child pondering the meaning of stuffies. What happens when our most meaningful possessions are cottages, boats, or family heirlooms? Does this mean we are supposed to give them away? Well, that’s between God and our self’s and not a matter to be judged by others. The important thing is to examine the emotional roots of the attachment. What does it say when, for example, people know their cottage neighbours whom they see once or twice a year better than their home neighbours whom they see nearly everyday?
           Well, giving away what we don’t need is a good discipline. It shows us how and what we have invested our lives in. The end result truly is a less cluttered and more spacious interior life. Just ask any interior decorator how to make a room look bigger…remove one third of the stuff that’s in it. I don’t think we need to give away the most meaningful stuff, yet we should certainly ponder why these things are so meaningful that we couldn’t just part with them.
That leads us to intentional living: being intentional about keeping our lives free by trying to live on just the basics and when we do go beyond the basics, asking ourselves why we want what it is that we want. Substance abusers trying to go clean have to make a conscious effort to figure out why they want that substance. So, it is with our attachment to possessions. One key way for us to open up space in ourselves and in our lives for Jesus and for others is to simplify and intentionally live simply. As I hinted earlier, with Jesus as our model, the goal for us is to discipline ourselves to be more willing and able to give, to give sacrificially. That, my friends, is the cost of grace. Amen.