Saturday 17 August 2013

Our Mystical Union with and in Christ Jesus

Text: Luke 12:49-56
Contemporary singer/songwriter Gillian Welch wrote a song back in 2001 called “Orphan Girl” which became quite popular. The orphan girl states she has no family but when she dies and goes to heaven she’ll meet them, but until then she wants Jesus to walk beside her and be her family. Please, allow me the opportunity to entertain you with it.
I am an orphan, on God’s highway. 
But I’ll share my troubles, if you go my way.
I have no mother, no father, no sister, no brother. 
 I am an orphan girl.
I have had friendships, pure and golden.
But the ties of kinship, I have not known them.
I know no mother, no father, no sister, no brother.
I am an orphan girl.
But when he calls me, I will be able
to meet my family, at God’s table.
I’ll meet my mother, my father, my sister, my brother;
no more an orphan girl
Blessed saviour, make me willing
and walk beside me, until I’m with them.
Be my mother, my father, my sister, my brother.
I am an orphan girl.
Now, if you don’t mind and with Gillian Welch’s forgiveness, I’m going to pick her theology apart a bit. These lyrics are comforting beliefs that she highlights particularly if you really are an orphan who does not have family, or over the years death has caused parting with family, and/or your family relations have become so broken that you might as well live on as if you had no family. She claims we look forward to meeting our family again as they should be when Christ calls us to glory. But, be warned the Bible never says that will be the case. It’s implied, but never stated to be the case. What happens to us after death and at Jesus' return is a lot bigger than a family re-union with a healed family though I would settle for that and a dose of instantaneous interstellar travel. Our hope is resurrection and the making new of the entire Creation when as Isaiah says "the earth will be full of the knowing of God as the waters cover the sea" (Is. 11:9).
Second, it is our desire to be with Christ Jesus not only after death but also now. Like Orphan Girl, our prayer is that Christ Jesus walk beside us through life and that he make us willing and able to follow him. The main biblical as well as theological short-sightedness here is that the Bible tells us that Jesus is not only with us, he is in us and for that reason we are no longer orphans now because God the Father is our father and our brothers and sisters in Christ are our family. Indeed, we are children of God by adoption in and by means of Christ Jesus through the free gift of the Holy Spirit. In Christ by bond of the Holy Spirit, we share not only a relationship with Jesus but more so we share with him in his relationship with the God the Father. Thus, we experience for ourselves the steadfast love and faithfulness of God the Father just as Jesus the Son knows it and we know Jesus' own adoration of the God the Father and his desire to be faithful. The very heart of the Gospel is that God the Father loves us each as much as he does Jesus the Son and acts on that love right now in the relationships and events of our lives through the power of the Holy Spirit to deliver and heal us from the effects of Sin and Death.
One of the key components to why the mainline church is so stagnant today is that the majority of the people in the pews and our ministers approach the Christian faith the way this song reflects. We basically say, “I believe that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour, that God is watching over me, and when I die I will go to heaven and see my loved ones who believed as I do. In the meantime I do my best to follow Jesus by doing what it says in the Bible and I pray that he is walking with me in life.” This popularized and easy system of belief neglects and falls short of the fact that in Christ we are participants in the divine nature. 2 Peter 1:4 says that and it means not the we are some how God but that we participate in the relationship of God the Father and God the Son through God the Holy Spirit so that it changes us and shows forth through us in our relationships with others particularly in how we love one another as we ourselves have been loved. By the gift of the Holy Spirit to and in us we are in Christ and Jesus is in us so that we share in his relationship with the Father and in his mission and ministry to the world. Indeed, this living, indwelling covenantal relationship with the Triune God of grace is the basis of what we mean by the words grace, salvation, justification, righteousness, and faith.
A couple of weeks ago my son William and His friend Calvin were having a bit of a playdate. This was Calvin's first playdate with William that didn't include his mother so he was there as a bit of an orphan if I may make that analogy. In playdates past Calvin has really not had anything to do with me. He's always been quite shy towards me. Well, William decided to do some karate with me which ended with him getting bear-hugged and tickled. Next thing I knew, Calvin was right in there with us getting the bear-hugs and the tickles too. For a moment, Calvin had entered into the relationship that William and I share. He could have stood off to the side and missed out thinking I wasn't his father and he had no right to play, but I don't know any kids who think like that. He just saw William having fun. It was good and he couldn't help but join in. He wouldn't have done that with just any kid and his father off the street. He and William have a relationship and the nature of that relationship helped Calvin feel at home enough to share in William's relationship with me. Analogy though it may be, I think it gets at what the heart of the Christian Faith, that it is our saving participation in Jesus' relationship with God the Father in God the Holy Spirit.
Now, what I'm addressing here – this living, indwelling covenantal relationship with the Trinity – is what has traditionally been called our “mystical union with Christ Jesus”. This “mystical union” is the key component of Christian faith. If we are not united to Christ in some organic, living, dynamic way, then the grace in him that the Father offers us in the loving presence and power of the Holy Spirit is meaningless and nothing more than a legal fiction in which Jesus did little more than take the death penalty for those who believe he did. By our mystical union with and in Christ by means of the indwelling relation building work of the Holy Spirit we share in his relationship with the Father. That is the grace by which we are saved.
Rediscovering our mystical union with and in Christ Jesus is the crucial need of the Church today. We need a conscious awareness of the presence and work of the Holy Spirit in and with us. We have all received the Holy Spirit in the midst of Baptism and conversion. As Jesus said, “I am come to cast fire on the earth and how I wish it was already kindled.” The fire he’s referring to is Pentecost, the gift of the Holy Spirit and he is what divides us, indeed separates us from others, biological family included.
Developing prayer-filled and Scripture-filled lives is crucial to our sharing with Jesus in his relationship with the Father. Don't just pray in the morning or at night. Strive to pray without ceasing. Don't just settle for reading a passage of Scripture. If a verse speaks to you, memorize it and repeat it to yourself often throughout the day. Do this and the fruits of the Holy Spirit will begin to well up in you – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. These are the qualities of character that make evident that we have new life in Christ and which set us apart as different; and which will prompt others to want to come and, like Calvin with William and me, join in on Jesus' relationship with God the Father. Amen.